Picturing 19th Century Savannah, Ga
Sherman’s headquarters while in Savannah, GA
This is an image By George Barnard looking west from Factor’s Walk. Barnard had a practice of combining
interesting cloud formations with various landscapes to give the image an over all more appealing aesthetic.
Note the large size of the clouds and how they “bleed” into the land and river.
See what City Market looks like today and read about its history
A modern version of this image can be found at
There is an interesting story about the above image at
Henry McAlpin’s 400-acre plantation was located on the Savannah River, just north of the city of Savannah–the heart
of a rice-growing region. McAlpin was one of the wealthiest men in the South. He didn’t just rely only on crops for his
livelihood; he manufactured bricks, rice barrels, cast iron products and lumber, too.
Established about 1750, it was the original burial ground for the Christ Church Parish. The cemetery
was enlarged in 1789 to become the cemetery for people of all denominations. More than 700
victims of the 1820 Yellow Fever epidemic are buried in Colonial Park Cemetery. The cemetery was
already closed to burials before the start of the Civil War and no Confederate soldiers are buried there.
But the war did leave its mark on the cemetery. Federal troops took over the cemetery grounds
during their occupation of Savannah and many of the graves were looted and desecrated. It has
been said that Union soldiers changed the dates on many of the headstones.